Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Parashat T'zav


This week’s portion, T’zav – literally, “[you shall] order them” – is a direct continuation of last week’s portion. My notes, fittingly, would also continue the discussion we began last week.

I. Back to the Basics with Jeremayah

Last week we introduced the beautiful synthesis presented by the offering of sacrifices: On the one hand, the People of Israel were ordered for the first time in history to be completely obedient to a God that has no shape, form, or other sensory presence; on the other hand, those same people – a band of former slave, let us recall – had also a very strong urge to see, hear, smell, touch, and feel the God they worshipped. Enter the sacrifices – a limited but well-defined form of worshiping allowing all Jewish people to be involved with all five senses during their service.    

This week’s portion is a direct continuation of that idea. Again we see how the text sets up, in great detail, the exact manners by which God should be worshipped. But while the idea of a synthesis through the sacrifices – first brought up by Maimonides – is certainly impressive, it may also overlook a serious issue. There is a fear – particularly in Judaism, though in other religions as well – that this exact form of worship will ultimately replace the very substance of the faith; that the center of the Jewish Emu’nah (faith in God) would become the way by which we observe God rather than the mere belief in Him. Indeed, once the people were allowed to succumb to their earthly desires, even ever so slightly and under control, what would prevent them to think that this is the essence on which their entire Emunah rests? What would make them forget that presenting the sacrifice is merely the demonstration of their belief rather than the belief itself? How could such fears be alleviated?

Enter this week’s Haftarah. Here, the prophet Yirmiyahu (Jeremiah) eloquently explains how to prevent any misunderstanding as to what is important, and what is less important, in Jewish Emunah:

            So said the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel: For I have NOT spoken to your forefathers and I have NOT ordered them on the day I freed them from the land of Egypt on the notions of sacrifices and offerings. Rather, I have commanded them but this one thing: “Listen to my voice, and I shall be your God, and you shall be my people. And you shall walk in all the ways I have commanded and you shall be better for that.”  But they have not listened, nor have they lent their ear to me, and they have formed their own groups, following their evil hearts and instincts, and they went backwards instead of forward.  [And this is true] from the day your forefathers have left the land of Egypt to this very day.  And I have sent upon you all my true slaves – the prophets – every single morning I have sent them; but they have neither listened to me nor lend me their ear, and they have stiffened their necks and became worst than their previous generation. [Jeremayah 7:22-26]

To cap this wonderful recitation, Yirmiyahu reminds us (in one of his most famous statements):

            So said our Lord: Let not the wise man brag about his wisdom; and let not the brave man brag about his bravery; let not the rich man brag about his richness; for by this those who brag should brag: Find wisdom and know me, for I am the Lord who performs justice, law, and charity in the land – for these are the ones I have wished for. So said the Lord. [Jerrmiah 9:22] 

Indeed, Yirmiyahu brings us back to the basics.  And it’s good to be back.

Shabbat Shalom,
 
    
            Doron 





 


No comments:

Post a Comment